My DH read the last several posts on the blog last night and informed me that I was getting too “gloom and doom.”
I was beginning to think that myself, a bit.
So, I’m going with photos of my weaving exploits… which have been on hold, since I have decided that what I really need is a stand and treadle system for my loom. Keeping up the treadling patterns with no treadles is highly annoying (more on that later). Consequently, even though the “weaving” housewyf is sitting on top of the sidebar, the truth is, it’s more of a woodworking project right now. And it’s blasted near impossible to find a good photo of how the lamms and treadles are set up to pivot or what not.
As I mentioned, my first project was a small play dishcloth for the kids. Next, came the table runner. It’s a very simple pattern; each line of weft laid down only required one harness raised, so treadles wouldn’t be a tremendous advantage, nor was their lack a terrible inconvenience.
I was amazed how nice it felt when it was done. The kids liked it, too.
My first attempt at yarn photography, shot on the background of a new shirt. Yes, it isn’t the really cool stuff… but it also didn’t cost what the really cool, gorgeous stuff costs! Maybe if I get better at this later…
Experimenting with the same threading, but different treadling. They aren’t laid out nicer because I was also trying to show shrinkage; the two cloths started out the same width, but the top cloth had been washed and dried. I also figured out that an even weave at start and finish is often wise, and floating selvedges are important. These were done in the plain old cotton stuff all the craft stores sell.
I bought wood today, and I intend to start on the new loom mount tomorrow. My loom (a LeClerc model, Dorothy, the narrower one) doesn’t have a manufacturer-offered treadle option. This means that if your weave plan calls for a line in the weave to have three harnesses up, you have to operate all three levers each time you go through that part of the pattern. In the case of the top cloth above (which my mother-in-law picked for her Christmas gift table runner, to be done with the yarn above that), the pattern calls for multiple shafts on almost every line. It gets really hard to keep track of!
On the other hand, when I have treadles, the harnesses can be connected so that each foot pedal (treadle) pulls one or multiple harnesses up, as the pattern requires. So, instead of a complicated pattern of combinations of levers, the difficulties are all in the threading (of the warp yarns through the harnesses) and the tie-up (of the harness levers to the treadles). Then, it’s just treadle 1, treadle 2, treadle 3, treadle 2, treadle 1, treadle 4, treadle 5, treadle 4, repeat.
More tomorrow on the progress.